Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ghana really is rad


(fu fu)


(Amelia scared to eat fu fu)


(Don't judge us okay?)


(By the hostel)



(view from airplane)

(another view from the plane)

We got here on Sunday morning and we were fairly trashed from all of our travels. However, when we first saw Africa from the airplane, we were taken aback by the beauty. We saw an amazing sunrise, more beautiful than any we had ever seen. We must have been flying low because we could see Senegal below us. It was so awesome. The ground was gray-brown and there was a small winding river below us. Anyway, it was beautiful. We were surprised as we flew into Accra that there were so many trees and that everything was green.

Leaving the airport, we drove by the temple and stake center. We quickly changed out of our white trash travel clothes (emphasis on white) so we could attend the last part of sacrament meeting. Later, after a good nap, we found the energy to explore a small part of Accra for a while.

We are loving it here, although we are having trouble finding food that we like. Yesterday we ate Ghanaian food for the first time. We tried fu fu and banku. Picture this: bread dough and fish in thin soup. You eat with your hands and you don't chew, you just swallow it right on down. Honestly, the taste wasn't that bad. The soup was good but spicy, the fish was salmon and rather good. But, the texture wasn't that great and one of us may have gagged once before giving up altogether and leaving some food in the bowl.
We are staying in a place called the Pink Hostel. It is rather small but it is growing on us. Today we are going to the temple and the grocery store. We like it here in Accra but are excited to be more permanently situated in Takoradi. We will be going there on Friday. We taught part of a workshop yesterday and are excited to do more.

Also, quick disclaimer: Don't judge our appearance. The power goes out here frequently and we are ugly. Okay. Ugly. Lay off. The humidity makes our hair frizzy and it is hot and we sweat a lot. So no judging. Can't we all be brothers?

12 comments:

  1. I love you girls! And you know we won´t say anything, even if you both wear the same sweatshirt two days in a row! :) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you are there. Ghana is a long ways away. When you e-mail me I was stunned. I hope you have fun and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great and fun idea to blog all of your ghana adventures! i'm so`excited that you guys are there and jealous! you are cool, i will stayed tunedto your awesomeness.
    xoxo
    heather (flake) kramer - did you remember my last name? over and out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so proud of you, AJ! man i miss you. James is in Malawi right now. I love your writing, your personality comes right out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You girls are so fun! I am so happy you decided to blog about the trip! I will have to just live vicarasousley (sp), through you! Wish I could have such advintures!
    Love ya keep up the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like you guys... even with the frizz and sweat ok? also I love the title of your blog FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the pictures--worth 1000 words, really! I don't think you are ugly--and to me you doth not stink! Please send more. PMA on the food--you need your nourishment, but don't get sick please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Sis. Beal on the pics. And, might I add, it would be a bit awkward if we were brothers, seeing as I'm dating Kristen and everything... =)

    Might I also add that you were indeed brave, Amelia! Fu fu does look a little intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two look like hades. Do something with yourselves. Also, there are starving people in Africa who will kill you for that fu fu so stop complaining. Just kidding, you're both cute and skinny and I'd have to throw up on anyone who brought me a bowl of that junk. Keep up the posts. Tchauzinha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why didn't anyone tell me about this blog until yesterday? What's PMA, Mom?? I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positive Mental Attitude, Mel. Haven't you ever heard of that?? I love you. Lingo from the 70s I guess!

    ReplyDelete