Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Swimming Pool

Some people may say that Kristen and I are mental. We say that we are resourceful. We get so hot here sometimes so we decided to make a swimming pool out of plastic, tape and rope.
We worked hard for several hours to make our pool. We connected three pieces of plastic together with tape. It was a great tape job if I do say so myself. (Also, that is my bed, for those of you who wondered what I sleep on every night.)Look how happy she is. She is excited for the pool.
More happiness and/or excitement.
We rolled the rope into the sides of the plastic then taped it up nicely.

We have a large balcony which really facilitates the making of a pool. What else are you supposed to do with such a large area?

We worked hard to secure it to whatever we could. We were so excited for our pool.

Here is is almost finished. We just had to fill it the rest of the way. We were so proud of our pool and so happy to have it. After filling it part way, we got tired of it and went to take naps. This was on a Saturday. We didn't want the pool to get dirty on Sunday so we put my bedsheet over it. It was fine all day on Sunday. On Monday while we were teaching a workshop, our landlord called and told us that we had left a tap on and that water was dripping off our balcony. Of course we knew that we hadn't left water on. Our pool had broken.
Kristen went home to try to salvage something. The rope had come out on part of it and the water had leaked all over.
This is off the side of the balcony where the water was leaking.
This is the end of our poor, sad, pathetic pool. And my stupid sheet is really dirty, dang it.

4 comments:

  1. For some people, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. For you ladies, when Ghana gives you a lot of heat, dump water all over your downstairs neighbors!

    I'm actually pretty impressed by your pool. When you were describing it, Kristen, I had imagined something much more ghetto. Honestly, how many other people in the world would come up with such an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are ridiculous. I love it. Didn't we make a pool out of one of those huge garbage cans (toters) one time in our backyard? That's pretty disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha. oh my gosh. i cannot stop laughing. ya'll are so resourceful! that is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to finally be able to comment on your pictures--why am I so technologically challenged! Did you get to enjoy the pool and its coolness for very long before the big leak? Hope so!

    ReplyDelete