Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Random Happenings

We were at the church on Monday morning and the missionaries came by to leave their bikes while they went to the Internet Cafe to email. We were just sitting around waiting for Bishop Adjei to come open the church. Kristen had the brilliant idea to ride their bikes, so we did. Mine had a sweet bell on it.





Yesterday Prince took us to a hotel nearby that has a few strange animals. First of all, just so you know, it is called Hotel Messiah. Righteous huh?

Look at the cute baby monkey. It was so little.


I want this monkey to be my baby. When I grow up, no human children for me. I'm adopting baby monkeys.

This monkey is ugly and I don't want it to be my baby.



Spiritual crocodiles anyone?


This is Amelia. She is sweet and innocent. Look at that nice face.This is Amelia's fufu (in the blue bowl). Fufu always comes with a meat. Amelia didn't know what the meat was, so she asked. The answer wasn't what she wanted to hear. See below to find out what the meat was.


Ever heard of a grass cutter? The Greater Cane Rat (Thryonomys swinderianus) is one of two species of cane rats, a small family of African hystricognath rodents. It inhabits Africa, south of the Saharan Desert. The cane rat lives by reedbeds and riverbanks. As humans move into such territories, the cane rats accepted plantations and cultivated areas. Cane rats can grow about two feet long in the longest individuals and weighs a little less than 19 lb (8.6 kg). It has rounded ears, short nose, and coarse bristly hair. Its forefeet are smaller than its hindfeet and supports its weight on only three toes. Cane rats live in small groups led by a single male. They are nocturnal and make nests from grasses or burrow underground. The oldest cane rat can live more than four years. If frightened, they grunt and run towards water. They eat grasses and cane and since they have tastes for cultivated foods, they make serious agricultural pests. So far, their conservation status is lower risk.In the country of Ghana and other regions of West Africa, the Greater Cane Rat is usually called a grasscutter or cutting grass. In both West Africa and Southern Africa, it is considered a delicacy.
A.K.A. a LARGE RAT!! I ate a large rat. By the way, I got that picture from Wikipedia, we don't know that guy. I was terrified at first but since Prince had bought our meal, I felt like I should eat just a small piece of the rat. It wasn't bad tasting, but the fact that I ate it makes me dirty and gross. I think Kristen judged me for eating it. Well, she ate cow intestine. I'm not sure which is worse. We are such babies.

7 comments:

  1. That is REVOLTING! I judge you Amelia. I can't believe you ate giant rodent! And don't think you're off scott free Kristen, cow intestine? How could you?

    I admit, I have eaten disgusting things just to say that I have, but rat?! I shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Amelia and Kristen! Eating all that gross food! Wait, I've eaten both of those...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rats are way worse than cow intestines. That's so disgusting. Also, did anyone else think it was weird that a hotel had a small animal exhibit? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When going out of the country, I will keep in mind that I don't want to ask about what I'm eating. Check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm.... that was yucky. also will you bring me a baby monkey? i want one too. You both are really attractive and skinny and I like you both alot and I am glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually grasscutters are not rats per se (they don't eat trash or anything like that). They're considered rodents but that's about it. Anyone who has ever eaten rabbit should be able to eat grasscutter.

    ReplyDelete